: Black Panthers
Please select and answer 3 questions below (at least one from each reading). Please answer each question as thoroughly and in as much detail as possible. Each answer should be at least 5 sentences in length. Be sure to use your own words.
Huey Newton. “A Prison Interview”
- What is the distinction between “reactionary nationalism” and “revolutionary nationalism”? Who is he talking about in each category?
- Newton uses Malcolm X’s “house and field negro” analogy. For Newton, who are the “house” and the “field” negroes? Be specific.
- Identify and explain the two evils that Newton says the Black Panthers are fighting.
- What is Newton’s view of allies, including whites?
- Newton uses the mind/body metaphor in discussing integrated organizations. What is he trying to explain using this metaphor?
- How does Newton define “Black Power”?
Fred Hampton. “Power Anywhere There is People”
- In Hampton’s view what are the purposes of participation?
- What is Hampton’s assessment of America? Why is he opposed to integration?
- What is Hampton’s view of alliances, including cross-racial alliances? Explain your answer.
- What does Hampton mean by the phrase “we don’t fight racism with racism we fight racism with solidarity”?