Students will be given a case study and asked to analyse and
address certain communication issues, bringing in relevant
communication theories and principles.
Word limit: 1500 words (excluding executive summary, table of contents and
Case study: Cricket Australia’s culture of winning
When Australian cricketer Cameron Bancroft was caught tampering with
the ball during a 2018 test match in South Africa, many wondered if the
brazen cheating was ‘encouraged’ by the culture of Cricket Australia, the
sport’s national governing body. It soon became clear that both leaders of
the Australian team, Steve Smith and David Warner, were complicit in the
scheme and all three players were suspended for periods of up to 12
months. The coach immediately resigned (though he was not involved with
the plan) and over the next nine months, four board directors, the CEO
and two of his senior executives all stepped down from their positions at
Cricket Australia. An independent review of Cricket Australia by The Ethics
Centre found that ‘a focus on winning had led to the erosion of the
organisation’s culture and a neglect of some important values.’
Using the case of Cricket Australia, address the following questions:
1. Describe the communication process as it was applied by Cricket Australia in
managing this crisis.
2. Discuss how the culture within Cricket Australia may have impacted on how
the case was communicated to the public.
3. Critically evaluate how Cricket Australia communicated to the various
stakeholders, and elaborate on whether they were ultimately effective or
ineffective in using various channels of communication in this scenario.
• Use peer reviewed academic journal articles, business reports and
reputable websites as the basis of your report.
• A minimum of 10 references are to be used, which should include at least
5 academic journals.
• Use APA reference style throughout the report and reference list.
• Use Times New Roman or Arial 12-point font, with 1.5 line spacing.
• Please ensure that you check your grammar and spelling in your
assignment before submission.
Report format is required.
Please refer to the Q manual for detailed formatting and presentation requirements.
A report should include the following:
• Executive summary
• Table of contents
• Reference list