Case Study – Time Inc.
You work for Time Inc., an International firm with software centres in 15 countries. Recently the Steering Committee decided to implement Time
Sheets in all the software centres. The Committee is keen to understand how time is utilised across the various projects in the different software
centres. The Committee’s main interest in doing this is to capture metrics like Resource Optimisation, Cost of Quality including Cost of Poor Quality
and thus embed Project Management Excellence within the organisation. Time Inc. is considering the purchase of a Time Sheet System that works
with an Enterprise Project Management System that will give them visibility into projects across the software centres. Anurag Mehta is the Global head
of all the software centres. All 15 Managing Directors from the various software centres report to him. You are a project manager and your task is to
recommend a Time Sheet system that will meet the needs of all the software centres. You will report directly to the CIO, John Clinton, who reports to
Anurag Mehta. Your first task is to work with the Managing Directors and request for the nomination of a Project Champion from each software centre.
The CIO has briefed you that your tasks include the following:
• Hire a consultant to assist with identifying a suitable Time Sheet System.
• Recruit the project team of internal and external staff.
• Work with Project Management Champions from various software centres to understand the Software Project Management processes and metrics
• Trial a short list of Time Sheet systems with input from the Project Management Champions about their major pain points.
• Gain agreement with major Stakeholders on the preferred Time Sheet system.
• Negotiate with the Vendor, with the assistance of the Purchasing Department and procure the licenses.
• Implement the chosen Time Sheet system, and measure the Return on Investment (ROI) and degree of customer satisfaction.
• Train users and IT maintenance staff across the software centres.
• Transition the system from special projects to production.
• Identify further projects necessary to continue implementation of the program of Project Management Excellence.
Case Study – Time Inc.