I’m working on a Mathematics question and need guidance to help me study.
Learn by Doing
Here are the directions, grading rubric, and definition of high-quality feedback for the Learn by Doing discussion board exercises. As always, please do not continue without clicking on the Learn-by-Doing link in the previous sentence and reading every word!
To prepare for this Learn by Doing discussion read the When and How to Let Learners Struggle (Links to an external site.) article (it’s a blog post by Annie Murphy). This activity is included in the Reading Assignments and Quizzes portion of your grade.
In your first post to the discussion respond to each of the following numbered items.
- Watch Nike’s Michael Jordan Failure Commercial (30 sec) and then respond to the question.
In this video, what is the main point of Michael Jordan’s message? You should be able to state his main point in one short sentence!
- Now watch Nike’s Michael Jordan Maybe It’s My Fault Commercial (1 min 2 sec) and then respond to the question.
In this video, what is the main point of Michael Jordan’s message, and how is it related to the main point in his Failure video? You should be able to state his main point in one short sentence as well!
- What is the main point of the Annie Murphy’s blog post: When and How to Let Learner’s Struggle? You should be able to state her main point in one short sentence!
- From the reading, what are the three conditions that promote beneficial struggle?
- How are the messages in the article and the Michael Jordan videos related?
- Do any of your instructors use the three conditions that promote beneficial struggle? If so, explain how and give examples. If not, use this space to write a quick note to a generic instructor explaining the value of productive failure and how to set up the three conditions that promote beneficial struggle in the classroom learning environment.
- If you’re comfortable sharing with your group, give an example in your own life where failure has been productive and actually contributed to your success (your instructor will read your response to this question as well). If you’re not comfortable sharing a personal example, share how you plan to address setbacks in this class so that they contribute to your success.